Don’t forget that this file must come from an identical version of Windows 10. So, if you are using a 64-bit version of Windows 10, make sure you get this file from another 64-bit Windows 10 computer.
3. Perform system repair
- Press Windows + S and type Restore. Select Create restore point.
- Click on the System Restore button.
- The System Restore window opens. Click Next.
- Select the restore point to which you want to return and click Next.
- Follow the instructions to complete the process.
System Restore is a useful feature for solving various problems, and many users have reported that this problem is solved after restoring their PC with the System Restore utility.
If you want to know more about creating a restore point and how it can help you, take a look at this simple article to learn all you need to know.
If the system repair doesn’t work, don’t panic. Read this handy guide and do the work again.
4. Start DISM scan
- Press the Windows + X button to open the advanced menu. Select the command line (Admin).
- When the command prompt opens, type /online /cleanup image / restore health and press Enter.
- Wait until the process is complete.
The DISM scan allows you to rebuild your system. If sfc /scannow no longer works or cannot solve the problem, you can use DISM to solve the problem.
Does DISM fail in Windows 10? Take a look at this quick guide and get rid of your fears.
5. Hardware Problem
Users have reported that hardware problems may cause sfc /scannow to stop working. Therefore, defective RAM can sometimes cause these problems. Make sure you test your RAM with MemTest86+.
You can also try to remove and replace one of the RAM modules.
6. Resetting the PC
If the other solutions do not work, you may need to reboot your PC. This operation will delete all the files in partition C, so make sure to backup them. To reset Windows 10, follow these steps
- Press the Start key, press and hold the Shift key and press the Restart key.
- When your computer restarts, select Troubleshoot > Reset this computer.
- You can now select the Delete All option and save my files. Both options remove all installed third party applications, but the Save My Files option allows you to back up your personal files and documents.
- If necessary, add the Windows 10 installation media.
- Select only the drive on which Windows is installed > Just delete my files.
- Press the Reset button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset process.
Would you like to know how to back up your Windows data within minutes? Look at this clever guide to find out. If you don’t know how to create installation media for Windows 10, this guide will help you do it in no time.
Doesn’t a PC reset work? Don’t worry, we’ll back you up.
7. Turbo memory function deactivation/removal
According to users, features such as turbo memory are not fully compatible with all hard drives, and this feature may sometimes cause problems with sfc/scannow. To solve the problem, it is recommended to disable or completely remove this function.
Several users have reported that disabling or deleting this feature has solved the problem for them, so feel free to try it.
8. Take charge of System32 Directory
Before we start, we should mention that this is an advanced solution and that if you do not run it correctly, you may cause problems with your system.
In addition, the system32 directory is closely linked to your system, so any changes you make may affect your Windows installation. In the worst case, your Windows can’t start, so don’t forget to use this solution at your own risk.
Several users indicated that they could solve this problem by simply taking control of the system directory32 . There are many ways to do this, and perhaps the best way is to use third party applications.
We have explained in detail in our previous articles how to become the owner of a folder, so be sure to take a look at the additional information.
Again, working with system files and directories can cause problems, so use this solution at your own risk.
9. Try to perform an SFC scan in the Safe Mode.
- Open the Start menu and press the Power key. Press and hold the Shift key and select Restart from the menu.
- You should see several options now. Select Troubleshooting > Advanced Settings > Startup Options and click Restart.
- After restarting the computer you will see a list of options. Select the desired version of Safe Mode by pressing the corresponding button.
If you’re unfamiliar with it, Safe Mode is a special segment of Windows that works with standard applications and settings, making it ideal for troubleshooting. Several users have reported that they are able to perform an SFC scan in secure mode, so feel free to try it.
Once you are in secure mode, try the SFC scan again. Several users have reported that the SFC scan ran smoothly in secure mode, so feel free to try it.
Doesn’t safe mode work on Windows 10? Look at this manual!
10. Try scanning with chkdsk
- Execute the command line as administrator.
- When the command line starts, type chkdsk /f C: and press Enter. You will be prompted to schedule a scan and restart the computer. Type Y and press the Enter key.
According to users, you can solve this problem by simply checking the chkdsk. Sometimes the data on the hard disk may be corrupted, blocking the SFC scan. However, you can solve the problem by performing a chkdsk check.
The computer will restart and the chkdsk scan will start automatically. Note that chkdsk scans can take up to an hour, depending on the size of the disk.
When the chkdsk scan is finished, you should be able to perform an SFC scan without any problems.
Is Chkdsk giving you a headache? Please read this short guide for any questions you may have.
If sfc /scannow stops, it is usually due to damaged files. You can solve this problem by detecting and replacing damaged files or by performing a DISM scan.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, feel free to leave them in the comments and we will consider them.
FAQ: More information about CVS
- Can you stop CVS Scannow?
Open the Start menu, type Run and press Enter. Then type sfc /revert and press Enter again. This command stops all CVS activities.
- Does SFC run on Windows 10?
The SFC command runs under Windows 10 as in other previous versions of Windows.
- How long does it take to scan the CVS?
This usually takes 10 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the hard disk, the speed and other factors.
Editor’s comments : This position was originally published in August 2016 and has since been completely revised and updated to ensure freshness, accuracy and completeness in March 2020.
Do you still have a problem? Fix them with these tools:
This software corrects common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware errors, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance.
Troubleshoot PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download this much appreciated PC recovery tool from TrustPilot.com (you can download it from this page).
- Click the Start scan button to scan for Windows issues that may cause PC problems.
- Click on Restore All to solve problems related to patented technologies (exclusive discount for our readers).
- Restoro has been downloaded by 0 players this month.
Editor’s comments : This article was originally published in August 2016 and revised and updated in December 2020 for timeliness, accuracy and completeness.
sfc stuck at 30,how long does sfc /scannow take to run,sfc run time,scannow won t finish,sfc /scannow not starting,windows resource protection unable to fix,sfc /scannow phases,sfc /scannow stuck windows 7,dism error 605,sfc scannow stuck in verification,sfc /scannow unable to fix,sfc couldn t fix errors,how to fix corrupted files after sfc scannow,sfc /scannow stops at 46%,sfcfix exe tool,how long does sfc /scannow take windows 10,sc config trustedinstaller start= auto,sfc /scannow in safe mode,icacls c:\windows\winsxs,resource protection,cannot lock current drive,dism does not support servicing windows pe,sfc in powershell,cannot repair member file windows 10,sfc scannow found errors unable to fix,scannow finds errors,sfc /scannow hash mismatch,sfc /scannow on another drive,can't run sfc /scannow,what does sfc /scannow do,how long does sfc /scannow take,dism scan,dism error 87,windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation,dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth,sfc /scannow windows 10,dism offline repair windows 10,sfc /scannow stuck at 61,sfc /scannow stuck at 100