Has your computer lost its internet connection after the Windows update? And the result of the network wizard troubleshooting: Is the default gateway unavailable? You are not the only one who reports that there are multiple users, that the WLAN is automatically disabled or that there is no Internet access and that the troubleshooter does not have the message Default gateway available. Incorrect network settings and outdated drivers are usually the cause of this problem, and third party antivirus programs can in turn prevent access to the Internet. First, let’s understand what the standard gateway in a computer network is.
What is the default gateway?
In computer networks, the default gateway is a network node or router that uses a set of Internet protocols to route traffic to other networks or to the Internet and back to you. For better understanding: The standard gateway acts as an intermediary or mediator between your local network and the World Wide Web.
To find the IP address of the default gateway in Windows
- Open a command prompt as administrator,
- Type the ipconfig command and press Enter,
Standard gateway not available
If you also have problems accessing the Internet or if the default gateway is not available, apply the solutions below.
- Temporarily disabling or removing third-party antivirus programs.
- Disable the VPN if it is configured on your computer and check the status of the problem.
- Also perform a reboot to check and make sure no third party application is causing the problem.
Rebooting network devices
Turn on the router and the computer to solve the problem as the temporary malfunction that caused the problem.
Starting network troubleshooting
Let’s start with the built-in network diagnostics tool, which automatically diagnoses and troubleshoots problems that prevent the default gateway from working or make it unavailable on Windows 10.
- Press the Windows + X button to select a setting,
- Click Network and Internet, and then Network Troubleshooting,
- Select the network adapter or all options and click next to it to begin diagnosing and resolving the problem it is causing.
- Troubleshooting is looking for incorrect network settings or an outdated driver that prevents you from connecting to the Internet and trying to solve the problem yourself.
- Then restart the computer and check the status of the problem.
Reinstall the network adapter driver
In most cases, your network adapter will not be able to get a default IP address or IP address from the router due to an outdated network driver. Re-installing the network adapter driver is probably a good solution to the problem.
Removing the network card driver
- Press Windows + X and select Device Manager,
- A list of all installed device drivers is displayed,
- Find the network adapters and expand them by right-clicking on the network driver and selecting Uninstall Device,
- Select the checkbox next to Uninstall drivers for this device and click the Uninstall button again,
- As soon as you restart the computer. The next time you start Windows, the default network driver is automatically installed on your computer.
Installing the Network Adapter Driver
The device access manager has now reappeared with devmgmt.msc
Click on the action and then search for hardware changes,
Here you can find and install the default network adapter driver for your computer.
If the standard network drivers are not installed on Windows, you must go to the manufacturer’s website to download and install the driver from there.
Resetting network connections
Let’s reset the network connection to the default settings, which will probably solve the problem.
Open CMD as administrator, copy and paste the following commands by pressing Enter at the end of each command line:
- Resetting the winsock grid
- network resets in IP networks
- ip-configure / Activate
- ipconfig / update
- ipconfig / Plums
Then restart the computer and check the status of the problem.
Check the IP address settings of Windows
- Press Windows + R, type ncpa.cpl and click OK,
- The Network Connections window opens,
- Right-click on the active network adapter and select Properties,
- Locate Internet Protocol version 4 by double-clicking on it to open its properties,
- Click on Get IP address automatically and Get DNS server address automatically here.
- If it is already selected, click on the following IP address.
- Then enter the IP address as shown in the figure below (for example, if the router’s IP address is 192.168.1.1).
- Check the box next to Validate settings on exit and click OK to save the changes. Now check if the problem is solved or not.
Changing the power saving mode
- Open the device manager with devmgmt.msc.
- Expand the Network Adapter to find the Network Adapter you are currently using.
- Right-click and select Properties.
- Click the Power Management tab and clear Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- Press Windows + R, type powercfg.cpl, and press OK,
- Click on the Edit Plan Settings button next to the power plan you are using.
- Click on the Change advanced energy settings button in the lower pane.
- Expand the wireless adapter settings and then expand the power save mode again.
- Then you see two modes: Battery and connector on. Change them both to maximum power.
- Click Apply and then click OK. Restart the computer to save the changes.
Resetting network settings windows 10
- Press the Start button and then select the settings, then select the settings.
- Go to Network and Internet and then press Status to reset the network.
- Select Reset> Yes in theNetwork Reset window to confirm.
Restart the computer and check the status of the problem.
Also read :
the default gateway is not available windows 10 lenovo,the default gateway is not available windows 10 keeps happening reddit,the default gateway is not available windows 8,the default gateway is not available windows 10 keeps happening 2020,default gateway not available every few minutes,the default gateway is not available windows 7,mcafee default gateway not available,the default gateway is not available reddit,default gateway not working in browser